Gibault was founded in 1921 by the Indiana Knights of Columbus as a home for wayward boys. Over the years, Gibault has evolved to meet the ever-changing needs of troubled kids everywhere. Today, Gibault serves boys and girls and has provided life-changing opportunities for over 10,000 children and their families. Gibault serves children with mild emotional disturbances, aggressive and oppositional behaviors, substance abuse issues, victims and perpetrators of physical and sexual abuse, learning disabled children, and children with a variety of clinical issues in residential and community based environments.
Gibault is accredited by the Council on Accreditation (COA) of Services for Families & Children.
Gibault is a member of IARCA - the Indiana Association of Resources and Child Advocacy.
Holy Cross School is accredited through Advanced Education, formerly known as North Central Association.
Gibault is licensed as a Child Caring Institution and a Private Secure Facility by the Indiana Department of Child Services.
Providing life-changing opportunities since 1921
On October 9, 1921, 20,000 people traveled to Terre Haute, Indiana for the dedication of the Gibault Home for Boys, the realization of an idea first conceived in 1909 by the Indiana Knights of Columbus. The Knights had long dreamed of establishing a much-needed "refuge for wayward boys" and after years of planning, this dream became reality. The school was named after Father Pierre Gibault, the patriot priest of the American Revolution. It was located on the former Fred B. Smith estate just south of Terre Haute. Plans were quickly made to expand the campus and by 1926 new dormitories and class room buildings were added to the campus. As the demand for Gibault’s services increased, so did the need for a larger and more experienced professional staff. In 1934, the Indiana Knights of Columbus and the Archdiocese of Indianapolis asked the Brothers of Holy Cross from Notre Dame, Indiana, to assume the administration of the school and its programs. This transition marked the beginning of Gibault’s Holy Cross Era, a period of significant growth, improvement and expansion.
Over time youth services continued to change. The increase in the number of students necessitated an expansion in professional staff and facilities. By the early 1980’s, the Brothers of Holy Cross turned Gibault’s administration over to lay staff who continue the mission to this day.
In 1936, Gibault opened its doors to boys from every Midwestern state and within a few years, Gibault's enrollment had grown to more than 100 boys from throughout the Midwest.
Over the years, Gibault has changed physically and programmatically to accommodate the ever-changing needs of troubled youth. From the Smith Mansion, Gibault has grown to become a sprawling 360-acre campus and employs more than 200 full and part time staff. Gibault has expanded its services not only to delinquent males, but also to sex abusers and females. Gibault also developed a day treatment program, as well as emergency and respite care programs. In 2004, Gibault continued to increase its continuum of care by providing programming for children affected by Asperger Syndrome, and also began offering services in Shelbyville, IN. The summer of 2005 saw the opening of the PRTF - Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility unit.
Gibault provides life-changing opportunities for children, adults, families and communities. The continuing excellence of Gibault is made possible by the generosity of the Indiana Knights of Columbus and Gibault's donor family - thousands of people who care deeply about the troubled children Gibault serves.